BID NO: 131/2019 LANDCARE FIRE BREAKS CAPE WINELANDS: ALIEN CLEARING AT THE FRANSCHHOEK CONSERVANCY
The works, as described, are part of the Western Cape Department of Agriculture’s LandCare Drought Relief fund. LandCare in collaboration with the Fire Protection Association, Cape Winelands District Municipality and Cape Nature invites contractors to tender for the implementation of fire risk reduction interventions such as fire breaks within the boundaries of the Cape Winelands District Municipality. The work involves alien clearing over an approximate distance of 7266,8m (subject to change) at the Franschhoek Conservancy.
Proposals are hereby invited from suitably qualified Invasive Alien Vegetation Clearing Contractors. The areas to be cleared will consist of either fynbos or alien or bush vegetation. The work will be done at a pre-determined rate per square meter (this rate per square meter may vary according to veld age). The proposal must include methodology for the removal of said biomass and must take into account environmental laws, regulations and sensitivity of the area with regard to the bidders proposed methodology and will therefore be a functional requirement in the award of this bid.
The Contractor must have capacity on site on a daily basis to measure out the prescribed fire break width of 10 meters and is expected to have a physically fit team of 12 people (see CBD 4 of this BID).
This is a measured bid, however rates are pre-determined. The tender amount will change based upon quantities of units cleared once actual work progresses on site. Tenderers to note that the pre-determined rates includes all labour, tools, machinery and equipment.
As the works are urgent, the successful bidder must have the capacity to start the works within 7 (seven) days after appointment and complete the work within 3 months.
Conditions that may pose a risk:
The removal of invasive alien vegetation from the environmentally sensitive areas is specialized work that requires competent human resources that are adequately skilled in working with dangerous machinery in undulating conditions. The safety of all staff is of paramount importance in the implementation of this project.
The specialised skill of work will also entail the contractor to have extensive experience with fire management and control measures. This is extremely dangerous work and the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act will be strictly enforced. The contractor must put all necessary precautions in place to work under these conditions.
A detailed Baseline risk management plan and Occupational Health & Safety specification is provided.
The scope of works will include:
- Submission of a proposal and bid on the best economical and acceptable method to remove all unwanted alien vegetation. The proposal must include the methodology for the removal of the alien vegetation and must take into account environmental laws, regulations and sensitivity of the area. An indication of the timeline to be included in the proposal.
- The implementation of fire breaks at a width of ten meters with appropriate tools, equipment, machinery and labour. Manual clearing using hand tools, mechanised tools and chemical application.
- Any recommended mechanical clearing will be evaluated and assessed by a Casidra representative before such work commences.
- Timesheets (signed by workers) and ID copies of workers must be submitted with each claim.
- Payment to the contractor will be upon submission of the invoice and supporting documentation.
Documents are available at Casidra SOC Ltd, 22 Louws Avenue, Southern Paarl. Documents can also be obtained from Ms Bridgette Bartes via email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Documents for the purpose of this bid include:
- Conditions to Submit Bid (Form CBD 2.2 Measured bid) or Standard Conditions of Contract can be viewed on the Casidra website at www. Casidra.co.za
- Price Form, Bill of Quantities and Schedules (Form CBD 3.2 (Measured Bid)
- Scope of Works (Form CBD 4)
- PPP Evaluation Form (Form CBD 5.2 (80/20).
- Bank Entity Form (Form CBD 7), unless the banking details of the company indicate “verified” on the Central Supplier Database (CSD).
- Registration on the CSD for all suppliers is compulsory and registration numbers must be supplied.
In accordance with Casidra’s Preferential Procurement Policy, this bid as further indicated in CBD 5.1 is subject to:
- a pre-compliance criteria of being registered and accredited on the Cape Winelands District Municipality Fire Services’ supplier database and the Central Supplier Database.
- a functionality compliance test
- B-BBEE certified bids will receive preferential scores;
The successful bidder will be required to fill in and sign a written Contract Form (CBD 8).
BID DEADLINE: The closing date for the bid is 25 September 2019 strictly at 12H00.
Bids must be submitted in a sealed envelope with the name of the bidder and the inscription “LANDCARE FIRE BREAKS CAPE WINELANDS: ALIEN CLEARING AT THE FRANSCHHOEK CONSERVANCY – BID NO.131/2019” and placed in the bid box available at Reception of Casidra’s Head Office, 22 Louws Avenue, Southern Paarl. No faxed, counter-to-counter courier, email or posted bids will be accepted.